Friday, December 5, 2008

All By Myself: Grey's Wrap

Overall a solid episode to end 2008 I think. Or maybe the last couple of episodes have been so weak that I’ve just lowered my standards and this one was just better in comparison? Anyway on to…

Things I Liked
1. Mark! Love, love, love my Mark! He isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he is my favorite. I loved him with Callie: “No hot interns!”, and boy did he end up eating those words in the end. I really like the chemistry between he and Lexie, but I will admit to getting a bit of a Lolita vibe from their ending scene. “Teach me, teach me…” Teach you what? You are a grown woman. He can teach her in the hospital, but in private…well that was a bit weird! If the writers are going to continue this they need to portray Lexie more as the woman she is, not like an immature girl. You could see that Mark was trying to resist her but he just couldn’t do it. Love him and I like the potential for this storyline if written the right way.

2. “That’s one of us down there”. Meredith saying that took me back to when this show was really good. I liked that she was supportive of Alex when he was awarded the surgery that she wanted, but I did not like her making it personal with Christina and I was glad that Christina called her on that.

3. Alex. His “I love you” speech to Izzie made me get all teary, but I HATE that it was wasted on her. I am not sure where they are taking this whole Alex/Izzie/Denny thing, but I have a bad feeling that it’s going to end with Alex getting his heart broken. I was happy that he got the solo surgery too since he did present the best case to Christina. And speaking of Christina…

4. Christina and Major Doctor Hottie were yummy! I loved their final scene in the boiler room together. He is still a bit of an odd duck, but he knew that she needed a breakdown and took her to just the right place and made her all kinds of happy. I just love them more and more every week!

5. Bailey. I enjoyed seeing her enthusiasm for learning something new. And I loved that Mark saw that she was genuinely excited to learn and let her be part of that cutting edge surgery. “I was young, gifted and black.” Yes you are Bailey, yes you are!!

6. The conflict between Christina and Meredith. Not sure why but I’m enjoying seeing them have conflict. No friendship is perfect!


Things I Didn’t Like
1. Denny. Kill him already! Oh wait, he is dead! I do not like this “triangle”. I don’t like not knowing where it’s going and I do not like that Izzie is making Alex look like a fool! I don’t like that it’s making Izzie look like an incompetent doctor and I don’t like that it has made me really not like Izzie. She used to be one of my favorites and now I can’t stand the sight of her on my TV.

2. Not enough Meredith & Derek as a couple. I get that they are trying to show them as a settled couple and I was okay with the lack of couple time earlier in the season, but can we get a gratuitous love scene once in awhile, please?? I did enjoy their exchange at the board though.

3. Sadie. I don’t like her as an intern. I don’t like her as a potential love interest (Ick!) for Callie. I just really don’t like her and I don’t care who her father is. Just get rid of her!

4. Dr. Dixon. I get that they are trying to portray her as having Asperger’ but IMO they are missing the mark. Her scene with the brain dead girl’s family made me cringe. I get that she is autistic, but no doctor would be allowed to speak to a family that way. She is older so she has obviously been a doctor for a long time. Asperger’s or not she should have been taught better than that or at least not be allowed to speak to grieving families. It was a really awful scene!

5. Not enough George. Give the man something worthwhile to do.


Things I Didn’t Care About
1. The interns. Lather, rinse, repeat. They take up valuable air time that should be given to the characters that I have grown to love.

It looks like we’ve got a long wait for the next new episode, which I do not like. I felt like the ending of the show gave some stories strong momentum and I’m afraid that having to wait a month for a new episode could derail some of that. Now it’s your turn, let me know what you think. What did you love? Hate? Just not care about???

3 comments:

tiburon said...

I think you know that I LIVE for your Grey's Wraps. This one didn't disappoint. I couldn't agree with you more. (as usual)

I don't like Sadie AT ALL. I want her off the show - can't stand her. She makes my butt itch. I think she is playing Callie and it isn't cool.

I am SOOO sick of Denny and Izzy. Alex poured his heart out to her for NOTHING and it ticks me off!

Great episode though - i am super sad we have to wait so long for a new one - mostly cause you won't have anything to wrap. :(

Melinda said...

I agree with Tiburon about your Grey's Wraps! I love them!

I have been a fan of Izzy, but now, I just can't stand her! I can't stand Denny either!! Good grief! Where in the world is this story going? Is she crazy? I just can't see this ending well.

I kind of wished that they killed Sadie off during the botched intern surgery!

I really liked the sister storyline. With 4 sisters, I can totally relate to the fight they had!

I don't like Dr. Dixon AT ALL! I understand why the writers thought they needed a "special" person on the show, but this is kind of ridiculous!

I really liked this episode! Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I agree with so much of what you wrote.
I too love Mark. I love how GA makes you love all the characters you were initially suppose to hate - Addison, Mark...Love them!

Loved how Meredith tied back the show with the "one of us down there" from when George did his surgery. And Love Christina with Hunt!

Get rid of Denny - this is just icky. And they ruined having Alex give his I love you speech to Izzy when you know all she was thinking about was Denny. We suffered thru Gizzie - enough already! Get rid of Sadie and Dixon too while they're at it.

And I don't like the interns bit - they're not going to delve into their lives (I don't think) so don't bother. Can they not think of something for Derek and Mer to do now that they're happy? Stop showing the interns and show Mer/Der doing something! Something cute and loveable and romantic!!